Terms & Conditions
The 2019 Competition is now over. Thank you to all participants.
- This competition is open to international and local milliners whether amateur, professional or student.
- This year you will be mailed a small packet of fabric swatches. These are for reference of texture and colour only, you do not have to use the actual swatches in your entry.
- You will also be sent a photograph of the outfit for which you are making your headpiece. There will be further reference of the outfit on-line. Allocation of designer outfits is random, hence the challenge.
- Your hat or headpiece can be made using any materials of your choice and must be suitable for a model size 57cm. It must have no maker's name attached.
- Each competitor may submit one hat per designer outfit, with a maximum of two hats entered. The cost of entry is AUD$50 for the first entry, $40 for the second. Please complete the form, emailed to you, for each entry.
- The hat must be designed and made by the person registered for the competition.
- Judging criteria will include style, line, balance, weight, technique, finish and originality.
- All entries must be received by 6pm on Saturday 26 January 2019.
- Competitors may not publish photos of their entries on line or otherwise prior to Saturday 2 February 2019 which is when our social media promotion begins.
- The Finalists will be announced on Sunday 10 February 2019.
- The winners will be announced on Saturday 16 February 2019 at the Grand Finale event in Melbourne.
- In addition to the main competition, there will be a Peoples' Choice Award. All hats will be on display at The Essential Hat, 507 High Street, Prahran East, Melbourne until the Grand Finale show on 16 February. Votes for the Peoples Choice Award will be invited at both these locations.
- Candidates are requested to ensure their hats are well packaged for delivery. Your hat may, if indicated on the submission form, be offered for sale after the Grand Finale. Please make sure we have your retail price. Any unsold hats will be returned at the end of February using the packaging in which they were sent, at your expense. We will contact you about cost of postage at that time.
- Winning hats will remain on display at The Essential Hat until the end of February. Hats which have not won a prize will be returned as soon as is practicable.